Stay fit while feasting and fasting during Ramadan. Those who fast during Ramadan often end up overeating leading to weight gain, acidity and digestion problems. Experts say one must follow a proper diet plan, avoid fried food and red meat and exercise regularly.
A. Arun Kumar, fitness head at Snap Fitness India, shares a few workout and nutrition tips for happy and healthy fasting and feasting during the holy month.
– Do warm up and stretching exercises. Full body stretching helps improve flexibility and also in detoxification.
– You can do mat exercises also like free squats, abs and push ups.
– Yoga and meditation helps in detoxification.
– Do cardio exercises like walking or cycling. It helps burn calories and improves stamina.
– One can go for low intense resistance training before Ramadan. It helps maintain muscle strength.
– Low intense group exercises helps burn calories. Also it`s fun as you exercise with others.
– Workout for at least 20 to 40 minutes.
– Don`t exercise when you are fasting. One should exercise either before Sehri (meal before dawn) or after Iftaar (meal after sunset).
– Don`t do high intense exercises like high speed running, stepper and heavy weight lifting as it can lead to joint or muscle injuries and complications like low blood pressure, hypoglycemia and dizziness.
– Drink prune juice to avoid digestive problems.
– Drink at least 35ml of water.
– Eat food items like grains, barley, wheat, oats, millet, semolina, beans, lentils, bran, green peas, apricots, prunes and almonds.
– Avoid big meals and eat slowly.
– Avoid deep fried food and red meat as it causes acidity and digestion problems.
– Have proper protein intake after exercise.
– Diabetic patients should be more careful and avoid hypoglycemia (low sugar level in blood).