Specialty of Hai Phong City: Tamarind crab. Hai Phong is a port and industrial city in northern Vietnam and is a coastal city in northern coastal areas. It is famous for the red flamboyant trees. If you have a chance to visit Hai Phong, you should not miss its specialty: Tamarind Crab.
The main factor makes this dish successful is the freshest crabs. Tamarind crab has amazingly simple and quick recipe. This dish is served as fried crab with sweet-sour tamarind sauce, basil, garlic, and chili. It is easy to do but you ought to remember that the sour of tamarind is quite hard to control ! Are you ready?
Basil, garlic, spinach
Spices: salt, and sugar, cooking oil
Tamarind, chilli, lemon
– Put alive crabs onto the fountain, drain and use the old toothbrush to clean them carefully.
– Remove and discard the abdominal flaps, cut the back-fin in half, crack the claws cleverly. Gather crab-roe on a small bowl, add salt, and sugar, then pour lemon juice to reduce the smell of crab.
– Mix the tamarinds with hot water, use a teaspoon to grind them, then filter again to get pure tamarind sauce. Add sugar to balance the sour of tamarind.
– Heat the cooking oil, put minced garlic, stir slightly till its colour turns into brown, add the crabs pieces and mixed crab’s liquid.
– Then put the tamarind sauce into the pan, leave it 4-5 minutes to coat over these crab pieces. After that, transfer them all to a large plate, decorate this dish with basil, spinach, red chili.
So you finally have a very delicious dish to enjoy with you friends and family on this weekend. I hope you will have a good time with your loved ones.